Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 cups
- 1 (15.8-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained (see Notes)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomato
- 1 cup canned white "shoe-peg" corn, drained
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3 Tablespoons canned chopped mild green chiles
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon (about 1 medium-sized) minced seeded jalapeno or serrano chile pepper
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
Cover and refrigerate 2 to 3 days to let flavors meld.
To serve, garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and accompany with colorful, plain, or cheesy tortilla chips.
Yield: about 4 cups
Feel free to substitute black beans or small pinto beans for the black-eyed peas.
Texas Caviar Recipe Photo © 2012 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Suggested Related Recipes Black Bean and Papaya Salsa Recipe
Chunky Salsa Recipe
Green Tomato Salsa Recipe
Papaya Pineapple Salsa Recipe
Strawberry Salsa Recipe
Tomatillo Papaya Sauce Recipe