Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 5 cups peeled cubed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons canola or other vegetable oil
- 3-1/2 cups diced onions
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh green chile
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 4-1/2 cups cooked black beans (three 15-ounce cans, drained)
- 2/3 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 eight-inch flour tortillas
- Fresh tomato salsa or jarred
While the sweet potatoes are cooking, warm the oil in a medium skillet or saucepan and add the onions, garlic, and chiles. Cover and cook on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender, about 7 minutes. Add the cumin and coriander and cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and set aside.
In a food processor, combine the black beans, cilantro, lemon juice, salt, and cooked sweet potatoes and puree until smooth. (You can also mash the ingredients in a large bowl by hand using a potato masher. The result will be a less smooth but nicely textured filling.) Transfer the sweet potato mixture to a large mixing bowl and mix in the cooked onions and spices.
Lightly oil a large baking dish. Spoon about 2/3 to 3/4 cup of the filling in the center of each tortilla, roll it up, and place it, seam side down, in the baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 30 minutes, until piping hot. Serve topped with salsa.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Recipe Source: Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites (Clarkson Potter Publishers)
Reprinted with permission.