Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound baby spinach, washed, dried, and stems removed
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, sliced very thin
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fine-diced ham (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
In a medium saucepan, melt butter and gently saute sweet onion until translucent. Add garlic and ham. Saute 1 additional minute. Pour in heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Stir in Parmesan cheese and nutmeg. Gently simmer about 5 minutes, stirring often.
While cream sauce is simmering, place pot of spinach over medium-high heat and saute until spinach becomes limp and releases its water. Drain thoroughly, pressing out any excess water. Add to the cream mixture and stir to combine. Serve hot.
Yield: 4 servings
Creamed Spinach Recipe Photo © 2007 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.