Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets (discard core and large stems)
- 1 (14 ounces) can chicken or vegetable broth (or homemade - about 1-3/4 cups)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided use
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions, white and green parts
- 2 large eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped ham, smoked turkey breast, or cooked bacon pieces
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Sweet Hungarian paprika
- Vegetable spray
Pour cauliflower into food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add butter, cream cheese, sour cream, half of the cheddar cheese, green onion, salt, pepper, and eggs. Pulse to combine. Fold in ham, turkey or bacon pieces.
Spray an oven-proof casserole with vegetable oil. Pour cauliflower mixture into casserole dish and sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and all of the Parmesan cheese. Dust lightly with paprika. Bake in a preheated 375 F. oven for about 45 minutes.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Cauliflower gratin works well for low-carb diets.
Photo © 2006 Peggy Trowbridge, licensed to About.com, Inc.