Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 3 cups dry lentils
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped roasted hazelnuts or walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
Combine lentils, onion, bread crumbs, parsley, eggs, and hazelnuts or walnuts. Stir in thyme, basil, salt, and pepper. Mold into 16 burger-sized patties.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat vegetable oil. Add four patties at a time and brown. For best results, wipe out frying pan and add new oil for each new batch. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels. Transfer onto a serving platter to serve.
Yield: 16 patties
Recipe Source: What's Cooking America by Linda Stradley and Andra Cook (Falcon Pub)
Reprinted with permission.