Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 4 bell peppers of different colors
- 4 Tablespoons, plus 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (divided use)
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 4 anchovies, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon raisins
- 1 Tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 ounces olives, pitted, drained, and finely ground
- 6 Tablespoons bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
Wash the bell peppers, cut them in half, and remove the seeds.
In a skillet, pour 4 tablespoons of the extra-virgin olive oil and turn heat to medium.
Saute the onion and garlic, until onion is soft and translucent. Remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in the parsley, anchovies, raisins, pine nuts, ground olives, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
Fill the bell peppers with the mixture. Place the filled bell peppers side by side in an oiled oven pan. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the surface is golden.
Remove pan from the oven and let the stuffed peppers cool at room temperature. Serve lukewarm.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe Source: The Timeless Art of Italian Cuisine by Anna Maria Volpi (Publisher Palatino, Inc) - out of print
Reprinted with permission.