Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 3 sweet green bell peppers, washed and seeded
- 3 sweet red bell peppers, washed and seeded
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 6 leaves fresh basil, roughly torn
- 1/2 can anchovies with capers
- Hot pepper flakes, optional
Cut each bell pepper into 6 lengthwise wedges. Place in a plastic bag with the olive oil, seal, and toss to coat. Spread oiled peppers on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven, stir, and bake an additional 20 minutes.
While peppers are baking, saute garlic in olive oil in a heavy nonreactive skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and basil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often. Add anchovies with capers, and simmer an additional 5 minutes, stirring often. The anchovies will melt into the sauce.
Place cooked bell peppers into a shallow serving dish and top with the tomato anchovy sauce. Sprinkle with hot pepper flakes and serve hot.
Yield: 4 servings