Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound fresh (or frozen) French green beans (haricot vert)
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1/2 small sweet onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 sweet red bell pepper (capsicum), diced (see note)
- 1/2 cup sweet red wine (such as Lambrusco)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a large non-stick skillet, gently saute bacon with onions and red bell pepper until bacon is cooked but not crispy and onions are limp and lightly browned. Add sweet red wine and balsamic vinegar. Cook an additional 1 minute. Add steamed green beans and stir-fry over medium-high heat about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Yield: 6 servings
Note: You may substitute an equivalent amount of roasted red peppers for the fresh red bell pepper if you wish. Add last with the green beans so they don't fall apart.
Photo © 2006 Peggy Trowbridge, licensed to About.com, Inc.