Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 2 Tablespoons butter (or margarine or oil)
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 2 pounds chestnuts, peeled and cooked OR 3 cans whole chestnuts (15 ounces each) soaked and cooked
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup oil
- For Coating:
- Dried breadcrumbs
Mash the chestnuts, onion and celery, then mix into the bowl the chopped parsley, lemon juice, and garlic.
The mixture should be soft but firm enough to form into a roll, so add a few whole-wheat breadcrumbs, if necessary, especially if you're using canned chestnuts. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Pour a little of the oil into a roasting pan and put into the oven to heat.
Form the chestnut mixture into a roll about 8 inches long, pressing it together carefully, then coat it well with the dried breadcrumbs. Put the chestnut roll into the roasting pan and carefully turn it so that it is coated with hot oil.
Bake for 45 minutes, until it is crisp on the outside, spooning a little more of the oil over the roll from time to time during the cooking. Serve the chestnut roast cut into slices.
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe Source: The Complete Vegetarian Cuisine by Rose Elliot (Pantheon)
Reprinted with permission.