Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 (about 2 pounds) large cauliflower, trimmed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil for frying
- Sour cream for dipping, optional
Meanwhile, gently saute onions in vegetable oil over medium-low heat until soft and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool about 5 minutes.
Combine mashed cauliflower, sauteed onions, bread crumbs, thyme, parsley, eggs, salt, and pepper with a wooden spoon.
Heat about 4 tablespoons of oil in a deep skillet.
Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of the cauliflower mixture into your hands and compress into a patty about 1/2-inch thick. Place patty in hot oil to fry. Repeat with remaining cauliflower, cooking 4 to 5 patties at a time, flipping when golden on the first side. Do not crowd pan or they will not brown and crisp properly. Drain cauliflower latkes on paper towels and keep warm in the oven at 250 F. until all are completed.
May be served plain or with sour cream as an optional dipping sauce.
Yield: 6 servings