Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 Tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 1/2 orange, shredded zest and juice
- 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 2 cups milk regular or low fat
- 2 drops vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or nonfat equivalent
- 3 Tablespoons rum (optional)
Return the pan to heat and add the milk and vanilla extract. Cook over low heat until rice is tender, but still slightly firm to the bite.
Remove from heat, add sugar, orange zest, butter, cream, and rum (if using); stir through gently and serve at once.
Yield: 2 cups
Recipe Source: Two Dollar Dinners by Paul Gaylor (Artus Books), out of print
Reprinted with permission.