Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 8 cups daylilies, sliced
- 2 medium-size carrots, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 cup texturized vegetable protein (TVP), soaked for 10 minutes in 3/4 cup hot water, drained, soaking water reserved
- 1/2 cup raw cashews or peanuts
- 3/4 cup drained silken tofu
- 1/4 cup dark-colored miso
- 2 tablespoons curry paste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon kudzu or arrowroot
Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add daylilies, carrots, celery, TVP, and cashews or peanuts. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes.
To make the sauce:
In a blender, combine tofu, miso, curry paste, lime, and kudzu or arrowroot. Process until smooth.
Pour the sauce into the skillet and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer the mixture for another 10 minutes.
Serve over brown rice or with Indian bread.
Yield: 6 servings
Source: The Wild Vegetarian Cookbook by "Wildman" Steve Brill (Harvard Common Press)
Reprinted with permission.