Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups peeled, diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
Arrange the potatoes and onion in a shallow 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Pat them down evenly. Season with salt. Cover with 2 cups boiling water. Bake 25 minutes or until the potatoes are almost done.
Remove the pan from the oven. Spoon the tomatoes evenly over the surface. Sprinkle with oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle the olive oil over the top.
Combine the Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs; dust evenly over the top. Return the pan to the oven; bake 10 more minutes. Serve hot.
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe Source: Sicilian Home Cooking by Wanda and Giovanna Tornabene with Michele Evans (Knopf)
Reprinted with permission.