Prep Time: 15†minutes
Cook Time: 25†minutes
Total Time: 40†minutes
- 1/2 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch rough chunks
- 1/2 pound Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch rough chunks
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 cup half-and-half, divided
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Pass the potatoes through a food mill or potato ricer or mash by hand. Stir in the butter, sour cream, molasses, and 2 tablespoons half-and-half. Season and set aside at room temperature. (May be prepared up to 3 or 4 hours ahead. Cool and cover with plastic film.)
In a pan over medium heat, rewarm the mashed potatoes, adding the remaining 2 tablespoons of half-and-half and stirring often, until hot. Check the seasoning. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe Source: Not Afraid of Flavor - Recipes from Magnolia Grill by Ben and Karen Barker (University of North Carolina Press)
Reprinted with permission.