Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds spinach, cooked and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Sliced cooked turkey, enough for 6 servings
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
In a skillet saute the onions in the oil until wilted. Add the spinach and saute briefly until the moisture has evaporated. Add the nutmeg and 1/2 cup of the sauce. Heat thoroughly but do not let boil.
Spoon the spinach onto a warm heat proof platter and arrange the sliced turkey on top. Stir a little Parmesan cheese into the remaining sauce and spoon over the turkey slices. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese, dot with additional butter and brown lightly under the broiler.
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe Source: New York Times Cookbook by Craig Claiborne (Harper & Row)
Reprinted with permission.