Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1/4 cup pickling spices
- 1/4 cup sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 Tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 Tablespoons hot red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon celery seeds
- 1 Tablespoon minced dried chives
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 5 bay leaves
For cooking shrimp, add 1/4 cup of the spices, along with 2 teaspoons salt, to a large saucepan of boiling water or half water and half beer.
For lobster or crab, use 1 part distilled white wine vinegar to 3 parts water. Add the seafood and cook for 2 minutes, or until just cooked through. Remove the seafood and serve or chill.
Yield: about 1 cup
Recipe Source: Baltimore International Culinary College
Reprinted with permission.