Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into one-half-inch strips
- 1 pound skinned, boned chicken breasts, cut into one-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups canned no-salt-added chicken broth, undiluted
- 2 cups peeled, cubed acorn squash
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Combine chicken and flour in a heavy duty, zip-top plastic bag. Seal bag and shake until chicken is well coated.
Coat a Dutch oven with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken mixture; saute five minutes or until chicken begins to brown. Remove chicken from Dutch oven and set aside.
Combine broth, acorn squash, carrots, onion, celery, chili powder, cumin, salt, and garlic in Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
Add chicken and simmer 10 additional minutes, or until vegetables are tender and chicken is done. Stir in cilantro and top with tortilla strips just before serving.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe Source: Health Journal
Reprinted with permission.