Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 4 pounds tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into pieces
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup medium or whipping cream
Measure out 3/4 cup of the tomato pieces and set aside. Add the remaining tomato pieces to the boiling mixture. Stir in the brown sugar and cloves. Reduce the heat and cook, uncovered, at the gentle bubble for 30 minutes.
Transfer to a food mill and force through. Return to the saucepan and stir in the reserved tomato pieces. Blend in the salt, pepper, and cream. Place soup over medium heat and warm gently, but do not boil.
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe Source: Judy Gorman's Vegetable Cookbook by Judy Gorman (Fine Communications)
Reprinted with permission.