Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes
- 4 medium fresh artichokes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 medium russet potato, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 pound (about 2 cups) cooked chicken, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 Tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Croutons for garnish, optional
Scrape the flesh from the bottom of each artichoke leaf into a stockpot. Add the reserved cooking liquid. Discard the fuzzy choke from the bottoms of the artichokes and chop the hearts. Add to the stockpot along with the chicken broth, wine, potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaves, and oregano.
Boil the soup, uncovered, about 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Remove and discard bay leaves.
Puree vegetables, with their liquid in a blender or food processor. (You may need to do this in batches.)
Return artichoke puree to the stockpot. Stir in chicken, cream, and Parmesan cheese. Bring back to a low simmer, stirring constantly until heated.
Serve creamy artichoke chicken soup with croutons sprinkled on top.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings