Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- For the Oxtails:
- 4 pounds beef oxtails
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (28 ounces) can petite diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 large bay leaf, broken in half
- For the Soup:
- 1 quart (4 cups) beef stock
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup barley
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced thick
- 2 large stalks celery, sliced thick
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced thick
- 1 large red potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen green beans or 1/2 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- Salt to taste and lots of freshly ground black pepper
Place oxtails in a single layer in a large oval crockpot. Pour tomatoes over the top and sprinkle with the oregano. Tuck the bay leaf into the mixture so they are covered. Cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High 5 to 6 hours until meat falls from the bones.
Let oxtails cool until you can handle them, then remove meat from the bones, discarding any excess fat. Place the meat in a container, cover tightly, and refrigerate. Pour the liquid into a separate container, cover tightly, and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight. (You can make this up to 2 days in advance.)
When ready to make the soup, remove and discard the layer of fat that has risen to the top of the container with the liquid. (The liquid base will be gelatinous and firm.) Place in a large stockpot, along with beef stock and water. Bring slowly to a boil, then add the barley. Let the barley cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add carrots, celery, sweet onions, and potatoes to the stock. Simmer until just tender, then add green beans or peas and the corn. Return to a simmer and cook an additional 5 minutes until the frozen vegetables are warmed through. Add a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste before serving.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Garden Barley Oxtail Soup Recipe Photo © 2009 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.