Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 50 minutes
- 2 pounds honeycomb tripe
- 1 (1-1/2-pounds) veal knuckle
- 6 cups water
- 3 medium onions, chopped (1-1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can hominy
- Pequin chiles or crushed red pepper
- Lime wedges
Remove veal knuckle from pot. When cool enough to handle, discard bones; chop meat and return to soup. Add undrained hominy; cover and simmer 20 minutes longer.
Serve with pequin chiles or crushed red pepper to taste. Garnish with lime wedges.
About this recipe: When eaten with plenty of extra hot pepper, it is reputed to cure hangovers.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Recipe Source: Better Homes and Gardens Mexican Cooking (Better Homes and Gardens)
Reprinted with permission.