Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 4 ribs celery, chopped in 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 peeled carrots, chopped in 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, cut into large dice
- 2 Tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 3 (14-ounce cans) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 package Knorr roasted chicken gravy mix powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (19-ounce) can white cannelini beans, undrained
- 1 (14-1/2-ounce) can petite-cut tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup real bacon bits
- 1/2 cup ditalini pasta (tiny tubes about 1/4-inch long)
- 1/2 cup raw converted rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole new potatoes, drained, cut in half lengthwise, then into thick slices
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch chunks
Add cannelini beans, tomatoes, bacon bits, ditalini pasta, and converted rice. Return to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until pasta, rice, and vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
Add potatoes, peas, and chicken. Return to a boil, then lower heat and simmer an additional 5 minutes. Serve with crusty bread.
Refrigerate leftovers and use within 5 days. The leftovers are even better, so feel free to make chicken mulligan stew in advance and gently reheat.
Yield: 8 to 10 hearty servings
Chicken Mulligan Stew Recipe Photo © 2006 Peggy Trowbridge, licensed to About.com, Inc.