Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 cups water
- 2 (10-1/2-ounce) cans condensed beef broth
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/4 cup snipped cilantro or parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup long grain rice
Meanwhile combine egg, cilantro or parsley, salt, oregano, and pepper. Add ground beef and uncooked rice. Mix well. Form mixture into 1-inch meatballs.
Add meatballs, a few at a time, to the simmering soup. Return soup to boiling; reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes or till meatballs and vegetables are done.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Recipe Source: Better Homes and Gardens Mexican Cooking (Better Homes and Gardens)
Reprinted with permission.