Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
- 1 large slice (1/4 pound) precooked ham, diced
- 1 pound raw shrimp, shelled to tail and deveined
- 1-1/2 cups chicken giblets, parboiled and diced
- 1 pound fresh okra, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup scallion tops, sliced thin
- Pepper to taste
- 5 cups water
- 4 ounces frozen crab meat
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tablespoon gumbo file (see Note)
Saute shrimp in same pan until pink. Remove and set aside. Then saute chicken giblets.
Add okra, onion, green pepper, garlic, parsley, scallion tops, and pepper. Add the water. Simmer for 1 hour. Add ham cubes, shrimp, and crab meat. Continue cooking for another 15 minutes.
During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add salt to taste, then gumbo file. Serve over hot rice.
Yield: 6 servings
Note: Gumbo file is powdered sassafras leaf. It was originally made by the Choctaw Indians and is most easily obtained in Louisiana, but it can be bought in most shops specializing in seasonings.
Per serving (without rice): 204 calories; 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat; 18 percent calories from fat); 10 g carbohydrates; 268 mg cholesterol; 525 mg sodium; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber
Recipe Source: The Spoonbread Celebration Cookbook: Festive Menus & Recipes by Norma Jean and Carole Darden (Morrow/Avon) - Out of print
Reprinted with permission.