Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 6 cups chicken broth, canned or homemade (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1-inch cubes (rotisserie chicken from the market or leftover homemade)
- 1 pound baby spinach, stems trimmed and larger leaves torn in half
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced or 1 medium can diced peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 pound pre-made cheese tortellini (from the market refrigerator case or freezer)
- Grated Parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
Add chicken broth, poultry seasoning, and pepper to the pot. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat, add tortellini, and simmer until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Stir in cooked chicken, spinach, and tomatoes. Cook an additional 5 minutes, gently stirring occasionally, until spinach is limp but still nicely green.
Garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve soup hot with crusty bread and a fresh green salad for a complete meal.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Note: If you like a strong chicken flavor, add a bouillon cube or 1 teaspoon bouillon granules or paste to the hot broth.
Chicken Spinach Tortellini Soup Recipe Photo © 2011 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.