Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 3 cups shredded parsnips
- 1 (1-inch long) piece fresh ginger, peeled and shredded
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy cream or evaporated skim milk
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Snipped fresh chives, optional, for garnish
Transfer the contents of the saucepan to a blender or food processor. Puree the soup until it is nearly smooth, then pour the puree back into the saucepan.
Add the cream, and bring to a simmer again over medium heat. Stir in the salt, white pepper, and lemon juice. Taste, and adjust the seasonings.
Garnish with chives, if you like. Serve hot, or refrigerate, covered, for several hours and serve chilled
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe Source: Prairie Home Cooking by Judith M. Fertig (Harvard Common Press)
Reprinted with permission.