Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound parsnips
- 1 large sweet potato (1/2 pound)
- 1 small head broccoli (1/2 pound)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups low-fat (1%) milk
- 1/2 cup instant potato flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Bring water and salt to boiling in a large saucepan. Add parsnips, sweet potato, broccoli stem, and onion. Lower heat and simmer 6 minutes. Add broccoli flowerets; simmer 3 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.
Meanwhile, combine ricotta cheese, milk, potato flakes, pepper, and nutmeg in a blender. Whirl until pureed. Stir ricotta mixture into soup until well blended. Gently heat through.
Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: 298 calories, 15 g protein, 7 g fat, 49 g carbohydrate, 602 mg sodium, 24 mg cholesterol.
Recipe Source: Family Circle All-time Favorite Recipes by editors of Family Circle (Doubleday)
Reprinted with permission.