Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 35 minutes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 carrots, grated
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 to 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 to 3 cups kidney beans, cooked
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes, with their liquid
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or less
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup grated cheese, Swiss or Cheddar
- 1/2 to 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- Cornbread or whole wheat pasta
- 2 Tablespoons dry wine or vinegar, optional
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced, optional
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced, optional
Add cashews, kidney beans, tomatoes, basil, oregano, chili powder, cumin, bay leaf, salt, pepper, raisins, and wine if used.
Simmer for at least 2 hours, until thick, in covered pot or slow-cooker.
Serve topped with Swiss or Cheddar cheese and sesame seeds, over cornbread or pasta.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Recipe Source: Whole Foods for the Whole Family by La Leche League (New American Library Trade)
Reprinted with permission.