Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 pound beef (inexpensive cut), chopped
- 1/2 pound pork (Boston butt or roast), chopped
- 1/2 pound chicken, chopped
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 10 cups meat stock or water
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- Salt to taste
- Louisiana hot sauce to taste
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped fine
- Sherry (optional)
- Lemon slices (optional)
In the same pot, stir in the flour to make a dark roux, stirring while cooking until the roux is dark brown.
To the dark roux, add the onions, green onions, parsley, and celery, stirring after each addition, and cook until the onions are clear. Add 1 cup of the stock and stir to form a thick paste, then stir in the tomato sauce. Stir in the remaining stock, then add the meats, salt, and hot sauce. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer another hour.
Serve with a teaspoon of sherry wine and a slice of lemon.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Recipe Source: Justin Wilson's Homegrown Louisiana Cookin' by Justin Wilson (Macmillan)
Reprinted with permission.