Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 4 tomatoes, peeled, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 large fennel bulbs with feathery leaves attached, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup Pernod licorice- flavored aperitif
- 2 pinches saffron
- 1/3 cup fresh thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- Black pepper
- 4 chicken legs with thighs attached, skin removed
- 1 pound boiling potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups chicken stock
Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours to blend the seasonings.
At least 1 hour before you begin to prepare the dish, remove the chicken from the refrigerator.
Stew the chicken in its marinade, covered, over medium heat, stirring from time to time, for about 30 minutes.
Add the potatoes and chicken stock, simmer until the potatoes are cooked (30 to 45 minutes).
Taste for seasoning and serve stew in warmed shallow soup bowls.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe Source: Bistro Cooking by Patricia Wells (Workman Pub)
Reprinted with permission.