Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups onion, finely chopped (1 large)
- 5 medium beets
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped (1 small)
- 5 teaspoons tomato paste
- 16 cups chicken stock
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 medium cabbage head
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh dillweed, chopped
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Add beets and carrot. Saute, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes.
Stir in tomato paste. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large stock pot, bring chicken stock to a boil over high heat. Add potato and cook for 3 minutes. Add cabbage and continue boiling for 5 minutes.
Add reserved beet-tomato paste mixture, green pepper, sugar, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
Remove from heat. Stir in garlic and dill. Serve hot.
Yield: 12 servings
Recipe Source: Chef Roza Gorenuk, Russian Palace Restaurant, Chicago, Illinois
Reprinted with permission.