Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours, 45 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours, 5 minutes
- 2 pounds top rib (flat brisket)
- 1 quart light beef broth
- 1 quart water
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 cups tinned tomatoes, finely chopped, with their juice
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 pounds cabbage, coarsely shredded or very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sour salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 Tablespoons golden raisins
Add the onions, tomatoes, tomato sauce, cabbage, sour salt, black pepper, and sugar.
Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then cover and simmer 3 hours, until the meat is very tender. Stir in the raisins, set the lid to the pot slightly askew, and simmer 20 minutes. Taste, correct the seasoning, adding additional salt and pepper as necessary.
Serve the soup with boiled potatoes, a side of meat accompanied by a good strong horseradish, and dark bread.
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe Source: The Jewish Holiday Cookbook by Gloria Kaufer Greene (Times Books)
Reprinted with permission.