Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup beer
- 3-1/2 tsp Creole seasoning (divided use)
- 1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 48 large raw shrimp, peeled, tails on, deveined
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups fresh or moist-packed shredded coconut
- Oil for deep-frying
- Sweet and Tangy Sauce:
- 2 cups orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup Creole or Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp shredded horseradish
Dip the shrimp in beer batter and roll in coconut. Fry in oil heated to 350 degrees F. in deep fryer, wok or deep saucepan. The oil should be at least 1-1/2 inches deep. Drop shrimp in a few at a time and fry until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towel. Serve with Sweet and Tangy Dipping Sauce.
For the Sauce: Blend together orange marmalade, Creole or Dijon mustard, and horseradish.
Yield: 6 servings
Creole Seasoning Recipe
Source: The Commander's Palace New Orleans Cookbook by Ella & Dick Brennan (Crown Pub.)
Reprinted with permission.