Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 4 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- 36 small shucked fresh oysters with their liquor (24 fluid ounces or 2 cups liquor - see Note)
- 2 Tablespoons fine-chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 2 teaspoons fine-chopped chives
Add onions, celery, carrots, and bell peppers to the bacon grease. Lower heat and saute until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 additional minute, stirring often.
Add cream, white wine, salt, and pepper. Increase heat to medium and cook until small bubbles begin to rise around the edges. Reduce heat to low and add oysters with their liquor and the cooked bacon. Gently simmer 1 to 2 minutes until oysters are slightly firm. Do not boil or overcook. Stir in chives and serve hot with oyster crackers or warm crusty bread.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Note: If you do not end up with enough oyster liquor, add enough bottled clam juice to make up the difference.