Prep Time: 20áminutes
Marination Time: 10áhours
Total Time: 10áhours, 20áminutes
Yield: 4 cups or 8 appetizer servings
- 1 pound cod, (or any lean white fish) diced in 1/2-inch cubes
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons), divided use
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 5 Persian limes), divided use
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided use
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium tomato finely diced
- 1/2 medium sweet onion finely diced
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup cooked frozen tiny salad shrimp, thawed, rinsed, and drained
- 1 fresh jalapeno or serrano chile pepper, seeded, deveined, and finely minced (wear gloves)
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
Drain juice completely. Place drained fish into a heavy freezer ziptop bag.
Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1/3 cup lime juice, olive oil, white pepper, cumin, tomato, onion, vinegar, shrimp, jalapeno chile, and cilantro. Stir well. Add to drained fish in the ziptop bag, squeeze out all the air, and seal. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
Serve ceviche cold on a lettuce leaf with crispy tortilla chips as a dip or on a bed of mixed lettuce greens as a salad.
Note: The acid in the citrus juice actually "cooks" the fish so no heat is necessary.
Yield: About 4 cups or 8 appetizer/salad servings
Ceviche Recipe Photo © 2010 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.