Prep Time: 4†hours, 15†minutes
Cook Time: 30†minutes
Total Time: 4†hours, 45†minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 16 ounces cooked canned pasteurized crab claw meat, picked over for shells
- 1/2 cup minced sweet onion
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1-1/2 cups unseasoned dry stuffing mix, pounded into coarse crumbs (measure after crushing)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Italian cheese of choice (or a blend of cheeses), divided use
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese, divided use
- 6 to 8 large (6-inch) portobello mushroom caps
- Olive oil
- Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup white wine
(At this point, the crab stuffing mixture may be refrigerated overnight before stuffing the mushrooms to bake.)
Preheat oven to 400 F. Select a shallow baking pan large enough to hold portobellos and line it with nonstick foil. (Alternatively, coat a glass casserole dish with vegetable spray.)
Brush portobello mushrooms clean. Remove the stem. Scrape out the dark gills with a large spoon. Rub olive oil over the tops of the portobello mushroom caps, invert them, and place bottom-side up (cap-side down) in baking pan. Mound crab mixture into caps. Top stuffing with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle lightly with paprika. Carefully pour wine down the side of the baking pan.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until golden on top and mushrooms are cooked through.
Yield: 8 generous servings
Large common white (cremini) mushrooms or other large mushroom caps will also work, but reduce cooking time accordingly. The crab mixture may also be used to fry up as crabcakes, but you will need to add 2 beaten eggs as a binder.
I like to reserve the mushroom stems, trim, and chop them to add to the crab stuffing mix.
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe Photo © 2005 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Suggested Related Recipes Best Crab Cakes Recipe
Crab Puffs Recipe
Seafood Pasta Chowder Recipe
Crabmeat Stuffed Red Snapper with Champagne Beurre Blanc
Deviled Crab Recipe