Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 3 Tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, minced
- 4 ounces extra-lean smoked ham cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast, diced
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 3/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1-1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Salt, to taste
Add parsley, ham, chicken, bay leaf, and 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring often, 5 to 6 minutes. Add tomatoes (with juices), tomato sauce, and cold water. Gently simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
Pour brown rice into pan and stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes or until rice is cooked and most of the liquid is absorbed.
Stir in shrimp and cook 5 minutes more. Remove bay leaf. Season to taste with cayenne pepper and salt.
Yield: 6 servings
Per serving: 304 calories, 16 percent calories from fat, 32 grams protein, 30 grams carbohydrates, 4 grams total fiber, 5 grams total fat, 187 milligrams cholesterol, 1031 milligrams sodium.
Recipe Source: Patricia Bannan
Reprinted with permission.