Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 Tablespoons Asian fish sauce (nuoc nam)
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 small sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, very thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 pound cleaned squid
- 1 large head Boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, crushed red pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and stir until sugar has dissolved. Stir in sweet onions and carrot.
Rinse squid under cold running water. Slice squid bodies crosswise into very thin rings. Cut tentacles into several pieces if large. Add to boiling water and cook until tender and opaque, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Drain and add to dressing in bowl.
Add lettuce, mint, and cilantro. Toss until mixed and coated with dressing.
Yield: 4 servings
• How to clean squid and harvest ink
Recipe Source: The All New Good Housekeeping Cookbook edited by Susan Westmoreland (Hearst Books)
Reprinted with permission.