Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh spinach, rinsed well and left wet
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- Large pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 1 quart shucked fresh oysters
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried
In a large skillet, heat half the butter, add the onion, and saute over moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the spinach, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and cream. Stir well and cook over moderate heat for about 2 minutes, stirring in a few bread crumbs if necessary to thicken the mixture. Add the oysters and dill and stir well. Spoon the mixture into a well-buttered baking dish, sprinkle the top with bread crumbs, dot with the remaining butter, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe Source: French Country Kitchen by James Villas (Bantam Books)
Reprinted with permission.