Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot or onion
- 1/2 cup dry white (for fish, poultry, or vegetables) or red (for red meats) wine
- 1/2 cup chicken, beef, or vegetable stock, or water, warmed
- 2 tablespoons softened butter (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- A few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice or vinegar (optional)
- Minced fresh parsley leaves for garnish
Add the stock and repeat; when there is just under 1/2 cup of liquid, turn off the heat. Add the butter, a little at a time, stirring well after each addition to incorporate it. Taste and season if necessary with salt, pepper, and lemon juice or vinegar.
Spoon this sauce over the meat, garnish, and serve.
Yield: 1/2 cup
Cook 1 tablespoon each minced garlic, ginger, and scallions (in place of shallot) until soft before adding the wine. Proceed as above, omitting butter. Stir in 1 tablespoon soy or fish sauce (or Worcestershire sauce), and finish with a few drops of freshly squeezed lime juice. Garnish with minced cilantro leaves.
Before adding the wine, cook 1/2 cup chopped wild or domestic mushrooms along with 2 tablespoons shallots, until soft. Proceed as above. Best with 1/4 cup or more of heavy cream added at the last minute.
Add 1 tablespoon or more minced capers along with the shallots and wine. Finish with freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste, at least 1 tablespoon.
Source: How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman (Macmillan USA)
Reprinted with permission.