Prep Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup sweet red wine (such as Lambrusco)
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and forced through a press
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of sugar, optional
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 small tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1 medium sweet onion (such as Vidalia), sliced into 1/4-inch thick rings
- 1 cucumber, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 6 fresh basil leaves sliced into 1/8-inch ribbons (chiffonade)
- Parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
Whisk together balsamic vinegar, red wine, water, olive oil, Dijon mustard, garlic, sugar (if using), salt, and pepper until combined.
Place tomatoes, onion, cucumber, and basil in a zip-top bag. Cover with vinaigrette. Squeeze out the air from the bag and seal. Toss to coat. Chill in the refrigerator at least two hours.
Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese just before serving if desired.
Yield: 6 servings
Photo © 2006 Peggy Trowbridge, licensed to About.com, Inc.