Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 pound young cabbage (or Chinese cabbage)
- 1 cup celery, cut diagonally (Chinese cut)
- 1/2 cup green peppers, in thin strips
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, in tiny wedges
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, in 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 grind of freshly grated pepper
- 1 teaspoon salad herbs
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons milk
Add celery, green peppers, tomatoes, pineapple, salt, pepper, and salad herbs.
For the dressing, combine yogurt, sour cream, and milk. Beat together until consistency of heavy cream. Add only enough dressing to hold the salad together.
Serve in small wooden salad bowls or one large bowl for the table. Garnish with parsley or watercress.
Yield: 8 small salads or a 2-quart salad bowl
Recipe Source: The African Cookbook by Bea Sandler (Citadel Press)
Reprinted with permission.