Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound new potatoes, unpeeled and scrubbed
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard, optional
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill weed or 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 hard-boiled egg, shelled and cut into quarters
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 2 teaspoons drained small capers
- 1 Tablespoon chopped roasted red peppers
- Sweet Hungarian paprika for garnish, optional
While the potatoes are cooking, steam asparagus until crisp-tender (see Notes). Rinse in cold water and drain thoroughly. Add to the potatoes along with sweet onion.
Whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, pickle relish, mustard, dill weed, salt, and pepper. Fold gently into the potato and asparagus mixture until combined.
Scrape potato salad into a serving dish. Arrange hard-boiled egg wedges pointing outward around the edge of the dish and the anchovies in between the egg wedges. Sprinkle with capers, and roasted red peppers. Dust eggs lightly with paprika, if desired. Chill at least 1 hour before serving to let flavors meld.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Notes: You can quickly steam asparagus in the microwave. Place cut asparagus in a large microwave-safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Fold back the plastic wrap to leave a 1-inch opening for the steam to vent. Cook on High for 1 minute. Remove bowl, stir asparagus, re-cover with vent, and cook on High 1 additional minute. Remove to the counter and let rest until cooled to room temperature. Drain off any accumulated liquid.
Asparagus Potato Salad Recipe Photo © 2010 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.