Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 4 quarts paper-thin unpeeled cucumber slices
- 8 medium-size white onions, peeled and sliced paper thin
- 2 medium-size sweet green peppers (or 1 green and 1 red), washed, cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 1 quart cracked ice
- 5 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 2 Tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 5 cups cider or white vinegar
Meanwhile, wash and sterilize 6 (1-quart) jars and closures, stand on a baking sheet, and keep hot in a 250-degree F. oven until needed.
Mix sugar, turmeric, cloves, mustard seeds, and vinegar in a very large enamel or stainless-steel kettle. Drain vegetables well and add to kettle.
Heat, uncovered, over moderate heat just to the boiling point, moving a wooden spoon through mixture occasionally but not actually stirring.
Ladle boiling hot into jars, filling to within 1/8-inch of tops, wipe rims, and seal. Cool, check seals, label, and store in a cool, dark, dry place. Let stand 4 to 6 weeks before serving.
Yield: 6 quarts (96 servings)
Recipe Source: The New Doubleday Cookbook by Jean Anderson, Elaine Hanna (Doubleday)
Reprinted with permission.