Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 4 boneless pork loin steaks (1-1/2-inchs thick, about 1/2 pound each)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp butter (additional)
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, brushed clean, trimmed, and quartered
- 1/4 cup Lambrusco wine (red sparkling wine) or beef or chicken broth
- 2 tsp prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat until hot. Add 2 tablespoons butter and swirl to cover the bottom of the pan. Brown pork loin steaks on both sides, turning only once. Remove and keep warm.
Saute the onion and garlic in the drippings. Add additional 2 tablespoons butter and mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms have released their liquid and are cooked through.
Add wine (or broth) and mustard, stirring to scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan, and cook about 3 minutes. Return pork to the pan, cover, and simmer about 5 minutes. Remove pork and keep warm.
To the mushroom sauce, add 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste), along with heavy cream. Cook until liquid reduces and slightly thickens. Whisk in sour cream until smooth, check seasonings, then return pork to skillet to warm through. Plate pork loin steaks and cover with stroganoff mushroom sauce.
Great with noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
Yield: 4 servings