Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 pound lean pork, ground
- 1/2 pound lean veal, ground
- 6 ounces pork fat, ground
- 3 slices white bread with crust, crumbled or finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp mixed grated nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp mace
- 1/4 tsp minced fresh thyme or 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp minced fresh marjoram or 1/8 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 tsp minced fresh sage or 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp loosely packed, finely grated lemon zest (see Note)
- 1 large egg
- Prepared hog casings
Whisk together salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, mace, thyme, marjoram, sage, lemon zest, and egg. Knead into pork and veal mixture.
Stuff sausage mixture into prepared casings, compacting firmly. Prick any air pockets with a pin. Store raw sausages in the refrigerator up to three days. Freeze up to 3 months.
To serve: Bangers may be poached, braised or fried. Cooked sausages may be refrigerated up to 1 week or frozen up to 3 months.
Yield: 2 pounds raw sausage
Note: To get perfect fine-grated lemon zest, use a microplane zester.