Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 pound cooked ham, finely chopped (see Note)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
Combine ham, egg, bread crumbs, sweet onion, and mustard. Form into 6 patties.
Heat a heavy pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and brown the ham patties on both sides. Remove and set aside.
Season the acorn squash with salt and pepper and return to the same skillet, along with 3 tablespoons water. Combine brown sugar and butter and distribute evenly over the acorn squash. Cover and simmer over low heat 15 to 20 minutes until tender.
Uncover and return the ham patties to the skillet. Cook an additional 5 minutes, basting often with pan juices.
Yield: 6 servings
Note: Make quick work of chopping the ham by pulsing it in a food processor.