Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 pounds lean ground pork or turkey, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
On wax paper, shape and roll mixture into 2 logs 6 inches long and 2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate overnight.
To serve, slice the sausage rolls into rounds about 1/2 inch thick and fry in a heavy skillet over medium-low heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until done. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
An alternate way to prepare sausage is to shape mixture into large marble-size balls. Freeze if desired. To serve, bake frozen on a rack, starting in a cold oven, for 20 minutes at 325 degrees F.
Yield: 24 slices or 50 balls
Recipe Source: Cooking From Quilt Country by Marcia Adams (Clarkson N. Potter, Inc.)
Reprinted with permission.