Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1-1/2 pounds pork sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 pounds smoked ham, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 quart boiling water
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and thinly diced
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Put the meat into a large saucepan (or an oven-proof dish) with the onions, potatoes, and parsley. Add enough of the stock to not quite cover the contents. Cover the pot and simmer gently for about 1 hour, or until the liquid is reduced by half and all the ingredients are cooked but not mushy. You may need to remove the lid during the last half of the cooking process. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot with the vegetables on top and fresh Irish Soda Bread and a glass of stout.
Yield: 8 servings
Source: A Taste of Ireland in Food and Pictures by Theodora Fitzgibbon (Pan Books)
Reprinted with permission.