Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours, 10 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1 Tablespoon butter, vegetable oil, or olive oil
- 1 (4 to 6-pounds) boneless pork roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 packet (1.3 ounces) dry onion soup mix
- 2 Tablespoons good-quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper powder (see Notes)
Remove skillet from heat and add whole-berry cranberry sauce, dry onion soup mix, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, allspice, sage, thyme, and ground chipotle chile pepper. Whisk until well-combined.
Pour the cranberry sauce mixture evenly over the pork roast in the crockpot. Cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or on HIGH for 2 to 4 hours. (Crockpot temperatures vary by manufacturer.) The center of the roast should reach at least 165 with a meat thermometer.
Remove roast from crockpot. Tent with foil and let rest for 15 minutes before cutting. Serve with the sauce (see Notes) from the crockpot.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Photo © 2012 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Jellied cranberry sauce or your own homemade cranberry sauce may be substituted for whole-berry.
Bone-in pork shoulder roast may be substituted for the boneless roast.
Be sure to use ground allspice berries, not the spice mix.
Ground chipotle chile pepper is now widely available in the spice aisle of most supermarkets. If you do not have access to ground chipotle chile pepper powder, use a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper.
To thicken gravy, pour pot juices into a saucepan. Whisk in 2 to 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour, and stir constantly over medium heat until thickened. Plan on 1 Tablespoon of flour per cup of liquid.
Suggested Related Recipes Cranberry Pepper Pork Loin Roast Recipe
Cranberry and Grand Marnier Glazed Pork Tenderloin Recipe
Raspberry Jerk Pork Recipe
Crockpot Pork & Mushroom Marengo Recipe
Garlic Ginger Pork Roast Recipe
Apple Cider Pork Loin Recipe
Maple Syrup and Apple Cider Brine for Pork Recipe
Nut Crusted Pork Tenderloin Recipe
Pepper Jelly Pork Roast
Pork Shoulder Roast with Apple Stuffing Recipe
Pulled Pork Shoulder Recipe